Around 70 million Americans suffer from a sleep disorder. Sleep disorders can be genetic, neurological, as well as stress-related. We’re encouraging young people to look at their own relationship with sleep because we understand that there is a distinct lack of education surrounding this topic.
Many people do not realize the extent of damage that a lack of sleep, or experiencing disordered sleep can inspire. According to the American Sleep Apnea Association, “People are chronically sleep deprived as a result of demanding lifestyles and a lack of education about the impact of sleep loss.” Sleep-loss can affect vital biological processes such as heart disease, immune function, and cognitive abilities which can consequently cause road accidents and other injuries.
Students often report sleeping far less than they feel they need due to school work-load and financial difficulties which often means needing to take on other work while in education. Young people are also more reliant on technology than other demographics which has a negative correlation with sleep health: “The odds of being sleep deprived (less than 6 hours a night for adults) has increased significantly over the past 30 years as the lines between work and home have become blurred and digital technology has firmly become part of our lifestyles.”
If you are currently enrolled as a student in the U.S. and wish to use your experience with a sleep disorder to help with our awareness efforts, please apply to this scholarship with a chance to be awarded $1,000.
- All applicants must be enrolled, or due to be enrolled, as a full-time student at an accredited US college or university for the semester that they are applying to receive the scholarship.
- Applicants are not required to have a minimum GPA.
- Applicants are not required to have a specific Major.
- Domestic, international, and undocumented students may apply.
- Students attending online universities are welcome to apply.
- Students must have experienced, or are experiencing living with sleep issues or disorders.
Required Application Details
- Please write a 700-1,000-word essay answering the following questions:
- What sleep issues have you experienced?
- How has your sleep issues affected you, and has it affected your studies?
- There is currently a distinct lack of education surrounding sleep health. With this in mind, could you outline what changes do you think need to be made?
- Please submit proof of enrollment or an acceptance letter in an accredited learning institution. We will accept a recent transcript, acceptance letter, or tuition bill. Please note: if you are in the process of applying for colleges and universities, please indicate your current school and submit a document with the schools you have currently applied to. If you are selected for the scholarship, we will ask you to provide proof of enrollment for your college or university at that time.
- Please submit Each Night Sleep Issue Awareness Scholarship form linked below.
How to Apply
Please click the link to complete the form with the following information to apply:
Each Night Sleep Issue Awareness Scholarship
- Full Name
- Email Address
- College or University Name
- College or University Mailing Address
- Proof of Enrollment – Transcripts, tuition receipt, or acceptance letter will be accepted. Please submit as .jpeg, .pdf, or .doc
- Essay answering the above questions. Please submit as .pdf or .doc
- Confirmation and acceptance of terms and conditions
All applications must be submitted by November 1, 2019.
A winner will be selected and notified via email by November 15, 2019.
Additional Scholarship Details
- The winning candidate will be selected by a panel of judges from Each Night.
- The scholarship is available on a yearly basis and is non-renewable.
- Questions about Each Night Sleep Issue Awareness Scholarship can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The scholarship funds provided by Each Night will be sent via check to the college or university. Funds are to be applied to qualified college expenses (including tuition, fees, books, and on-campus room and board) for the current academic year.
By submitting an application, we are granted permission to send applicants information regarding their application only, via their submitted email address. The winner will be asked if they will grant Each Night permission to post their name, school, photo (if submitted), and their essay on https://www.bestmattress-brand.org/ or in other communications relating only to the scholarship program.
- No applicants will be contacted regarding anything other than their application.
- Information pertaining to applicants can be destroyed at their request.
- All information (proof of enrollment, essays, and email) relating to applicants is destroyed as soon as a winner is paid.
- Applicants will not be asked to provide any sensitive information for their application or to claim their award if they are to win the scholarship.
- There is no fee to apply to this scholarship or for the winning applicant to claim their award.
- Applicants retain all rights to their essay
Terms & Conditions
All submitted photos and essays must be original work of the applicant. Only one submission may be entered per student, per year. Duplicate entries will be disqualified. All scholarships are non-renewable. By submitting an application to the Each Night Sleep Issue Awareness Scholarship, you certify that all the information you have provided is original, accurate, and complete.