Curious to see what 2016 Labor Day mattress sale events have in store? We scoured the latest ads, investigated on the internet and looked at past holiday sales to bring a preview of what you can expect for the upcoming sales. Check back soon for our top picks this summer:
- Last year, our Best Buys included a mattress from Amerisleep, adjustable bed from Astrabeds, and spring mattress from Sleepy’s.
Labor Day sales are a big deal in the mattress and furniture industries, and you can often find offers that rival Black Friday during this time of year. Retailers are looking to clear out summer inventory and also drive the last big push of the summer and fall seasons, and they know that many shoppers have the weekend off to shop around.
Because of this, you can find incredible deals, making it one of the best times to buy a new mattress (without dealing the Black Friday hassles!). In fact, many stores offer some of their best values of the year for this holiday weekend. Don’t worry, you won’t have to work too hard this Labor Day, we’ve done much of the sorting for you. See what to expect to see in Labor Day mattress sale events this year and start researching and comparing.
Labor Day Mattress Sale Previews
Below are the highlights of this year’s Labor Deals on mattress and adjustable beds that have been released so far. We’ve grouped them by memory foam and innerspring models, sorted from lowest to highest price. All prices are based on queen size unless otherwise noted, and deals can be subject change.
Memory Foam Deals
Memory foam mattresses are a popular item in 2016 Labor Day mattress sales, and several stores have specials on name brand and discount beds. Below is a quick preview of the mattress deals released so far for memory foam beds.
Remember, when comparing this mattress type, key things to look for include memory foam layer thickness, density of the memory foam and core, return policies, and warranty coverage.
- Check back! We found memory foam offers from Macy’s, Amerisleep, Mattress Firm, Serta and more last year.
Innerspring mattress deals abound, and there are many discount and mid-range offers to choose from. Here’s a preview of spring and spring hybrid mattress offers.
Key things to compare when looking for an innerspring mattress include coil type and count, quality of foams and padding, return policies, and depth of impression covered by warranties.
- Check back! Last year, brands like Simmons Beautyrest, Sealy Posturpedic, and Serta Perfect Sleeper were on sale.
Adjustable Bed Deals
Adjustable beds have been increasingly popular in recent years, and this year several stores are promoting adjustable bed sales, usually in the form of discounts with mattress set purchase.
- Check back! Last year we found adjustable bed deals at Astrabeds, Serta, Tempurpedic and Amerisleep.
Labor Day Mattress Sale Preview for 2016
This year’s Labor Day mattress sale promotions will take place in the week surrounding the holiday, September 7. Many stores will begin offering specials the week before, and almost all will have sales over the weekend and through Labor Day, perhaps a few days after the holiday as well.
Most stores release their promotions the week of the sale, not too far in advance. But, we start collecting Labor Day weekend mattress sale previews once retailers publish them. Many trends also tend to remain consistent from other recent holiday sales, helpful for giving you an idea of what to expect.
Trends You’ll See This Labor Day
Here’s a peek at the kinds of sales and trends you’ll most likely see during Labor Day weekend deals so you know what to look for. Always read the fine print of sales, and make sure comfort, warranties and return policies aren’t compromised for savings.
Many of the “luxury” brands like Serta iComfort, Simmons Comforpedic and Beautyrest Worldclass will allow retailers to offer free box springs with mattress purchase rather than discounting retail prices, as with many previous years’ sales. Some retailers like 1800Mattress or Sears may also have deals on free pillows with select beds, and some may also be offering store credit with select models.
With innerspring beds, there are several stores offering discounts on price and/or delivery of full mattress sets (mattress+boxspring). Adjustable bed and mattress set discounts are usually featured by Tempurpedic, Amerisleep and Serta, and will likely be offered by several stores.
Instant discounts are always popular, and remain a consumer favorite. You may see percent or coupon discounts on select beds but always compare prices with others as some retailers tend to exaggerate discounts during sales (by inflating original prices).
One growing trend in the past couple of years has been the decision of major mattress and department stores to offer mail-in rebates during mattress sales rather than instant discounts. They might be mail-in offers for accessories like pillows, bedding or TVs, or mail-in gift cards or rebate offers, and are usually found with mid to high price beds. Some like Mattress Firm may also offer store credit rebates for accessories or delivery costs.
Limited quantity or time mattresses also pop up frequently during Labor Day mattress sale events and other holidays. Stores price these low (often under $500), but they differ from brands’ standard quality and thus come significantly cheaper. These may not always be a great deal in terms of longevity however. And, these beds prove difficult to research and compare before buying. Typically, they include very short warranties and little to no reviews.
How to Get the Most from the 2016 Labor Day Mattress Sales
While this is one of the best and easiest times to find a great deal on a new mattress, you will increase your chances for success if you come into these sales prepared. To help you come home with the best mattress for your budget and preferences, we’ve listed a few pointers to keep with you while you shop.
- Knowledge is power. Don’t buy a mattress without doing some research first. Look into the composition of the mattress and find out what you are sleeping on. Read online reviews of the mattresses you like and ask questions of the sales staff. Don’t commit until you are comfortable.
- The earlier you start, the better. We’ll be posting information here after it is published from the retailers. Start looking into mattress types, prices and specifications at least a week before Labor Day. There are many things to consider when making a mattress purchase, so be prepared. You can start your search before the sales to get an idea of what you like.
- Shop online to avoid sales pressure. We do our best thinking when we have time to consider all the ins and outs. Salespeople thrive on high-pressure situations that make customers feel a sense of urgency. As with many things, you can easily shop online for a wide array of mattresses from reputable companies. If nothing else, use the internet for a research resource.
- Know what you’re getting into. Read the fine print, especially regarding warranty and return policies. A warranty should last at least seven years, which is about the average lifespan of a mattress. You should have at least 30 nights to try your mattress, also.
- Stick to the plan. Figure out what you want and what you can pay, then stick to your guns. Know what you can live with and without and don’t sacrifice your needs to save a few bucks. On the other hand, let sales people pressure you into buying unwanted expensive features or products.
Don’t forget to bookmark and save this link, as we will continue adding more sales and offers as they become available! If you have any specific bed types or topics you want to see compared in this 2016 Labor Day mattress sale preview, drop us a note in the comments